DIY- Refinishing a Dresser7:12 PM
Recently I took on the task of refinishing a dresser for my impending bundle of joy. I was really excited to decorate a nursery and immediately started looking at ideas online. I quickly realized how expensive nursery furniture is. Since I really wanted something with character that didn’t cost me an arm and a leg, I decided to look at second hand and consignment stores for a nice dresser that I could re-paint if necessary. I found this beauty at a thrift store for $60.
From my online research, I knew I should look for something without a lot of shine, so that I wouldn’t have to strip it. It’s best to find one already painted that you can simply paint over or to find a wooden dresser that isn’t highly laminated so that you don’t have to bother with paint strippers, etc. This one was perfect. I was also looking for something with great shape (although I didn’t even notice the adorable heart at the bottom until I got it home!).
Although I didn’t have to strip it, I did have to sand it. I tried to sand it by hand for a nano-second before I realized there was no way I’d ever finish it by hand. Luckily my father in law had an electric sander that I borrowed. As you can see, I sanded it down quite a bit, but I really could have sanded it even more to avoid having to do so many coats of primer and paint.
For primer I used a white stain blocker primer that I already had on hand. Even so, I needed to do about 3 coats of the primer, and then 2 coats of ultra white Valspar paint. Make sure to get the gloss finish so that it’s easy to clean. I considered buying vintage knobs and even doing some decoupage on the dresser, but since I was really trying to keep this DIY project low budget, I decided to just paint the knobs instead. I was able to use a sample of paint that cost $2.97. For more inspiration check out iffer’s little nest's refinishing a dresser post here. I must say, I’m quite happy with the result! Check back later for more posts on decorating a nursery!